Saturday, February 18, 2012

Welcome and Pancakes

WELCOME TO MY FIRST POST!
After months and months of procrastination and school work, I've finally been able to gather up a few spare hours during this lovely Saturday to dedicate a blog entirely to my food. I'm a 20-year-old (just a few weeks til 21...woo!) art major, living in a house near school with a very limited kitchen space and four roommates with profoundly different interests in food. One of them, my faboosh pal since 9th grade, Coco, has a diet that consists primarily of chocolate, omelets, and frozen meals. Another roommate has tummy issues, so she eats plain chicken with plain mashed potatoes or a plain turkey sandwich on white for dinner. The other two are lovers and are a couple of those eat-anything-and-still-manage-to-be-toned-and-lean type of people. You know, Pizza-Hut-burger-joint-chips-galore-incredible-metabolism skinnies. And then there's me. 5' 4", average weight, slightly lactose intolerant, sensitive to greasy foods, obsessed with fresh farmers market fruits & vegetables, would rather take two hours to prepare a meal than to microwave something from the freezer. I don't view cooking and baking as an inconvenience or annoying; they're how I relax, so I try to do it as often as possible. The highlight to my recent weeks has been waking up early on Saturday mornings (6am), drinking a cup of tea, going for a run, and coming back to my kitchen, endorphins rushing, and enjoying a fabulous breakfast to myself (roomies don't wake up til at least 11am-3pm!) Today, I made what may be considered as gross, weird, politically incorrect, etc. But to me, it was just what I wanted. I have no idea what to call them, but here goes--
Lemon Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes with Blueberry Honey Balsamic Glaze
For pancakes:

dry:
2/3 c. white flour
2/3 c. wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 TBS whole oats
4 TB brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
wet:
8 TBS milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almondmilk)
2 TBS lemon juice
1 egg OR I used 1 flax egg (1 TBS ground flax seeds + 3 TBS warm water)
1 1/2 tsp oil (I used olive because I like the taste, corn or melted butter may be better)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
1 egg white OR 3 TBS liquid egg whites (whipped)

For the glaze:
6 TBS balsamic vinegar
2 TBS honey
1 TBS lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest
2/3 c. blueberries
Directions:
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a cup, combine lemon juice and almond milk and let it set for 5 minutes. Vegan buttermilk, woohoo!
3. Mix wet ingredients and "buttermilk," excluding the egg white.
4. Gently combine the wet with the dry (still excluding egg white), making a batter that will be more similar in texture to a sticky dough than regular batter. Have no fear! If you like thick, moist pancakes, you are safe. If you like em thin...then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps add more liquid?
Anywho, let the mixture rest for 20 minutes.
5. In a separate bowl, whip up the egg white and gently fold it into the superthick batterdough.
6. Spray a pan with Pam or melt some butter in it, then plop a scoop of batterdough onto the center of the pan. Flip it when bubbles begin to form. I must warn you that I like my pancakes to be fat and raw (I'll call it ~rare~ to sound fancy), but in my defense, my egg whites are pasteurized so no salmonella for me! *knock on wood*

To make the glaze:
1. On medium-low heat, bring all glaze ingredients and HALF of the berries to a boil. Gently mash the berries. Allow to cook until it has reduced to about half.
2. Remove from heat and add the rest of the berries, being careful not to pop them.

Eat the pancakes with the glaze smothered on top.

PICTURES (click to enlarge):








Notice the top ~
rare~ pancake :P


*Another variation would be to eat it the way my roommate ate them--with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and drizzled with glaze. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment