Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cherry-Almond and Cashew-Vanilla Mamababies

Ever had a Larabar? Probably. At around 2 bucks a pop, they're a tasty treat I simply can't afford! I've come across lots of recipes for homemade ones and they all seem to have the same basic ingredients: Dates or raisins, nuts, dried fruit. Simple. So I made some for Mama because I told her that I highly disapprove of her work snacks! Granola bars with high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients I can't even pronounce? No thank you! Anywho, these are essentially baby-sized Larabars, but since I made em for Mama, I'll call em Mamababies. Deliciously oxymoronic :)

Cherry-Almond Mamababies:
Makes 15 at 1 packed tablespoon each.

WARNING: the scent of the roasting almonds is simply intoxicating.
  • 16 dates, pitted (I used this kind)
  • 2/3 cup dried bing cherries
  • a little over 2/3 cup almonds 
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. I prefer the convection roast setting.
2. Spread the almonds onto a cookie sheet and bake them for 7 minutes, but check on them to ensure they don't burn, as this can happen very quickly. Let them cool off for a few minutes.
3. Place the nuts in a food processor and give it a few pulses until they're in large chunks.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and pulse everything together.

It should be finer than this, so that everything will stick together:
 5. Line a mini cupcake pan with papers and fill each one with 1 packed tablespoon of the mixture. Press it down to pack it in. Refrigerate for about an hour and enjoy!


Vanilla-Cashew Mamababies:
This only made 7 but can easily be multiplied.

  • 1/2 cup cashew pieces (I used TJ's roasted & lightly salted) 
  • 10 dates
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions are the same as above! Remember, roasting the nuts makes a huge difference, in my opinion, but you can just use raw nuts. I roasted the cashew pieces for about 5 minutes.


All packed up in the fridge for Maaa!
Happy nut roasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment