Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pizza Rolls

This week, I have the honor of spending my days with the two best little cousin chefs around, Brianna and Lexi. I'm "babysitting" them, but I gotta be honest, this does not feel like work at all! We've been pigging out on frozen yogurt, popsicles, and making different culinary creations for every meal! I've been using the two fabulous divas as my guinea pigs for my food experiments, and I'm happy to say, they've liked it all so far! For example, Brianna's breakfast yesterday was this:
Banana-honey-coconut oil-vanilla-cinnamon sauce on a waffle

And today, she had this:
Mango-coconut oil-vanilla-honey sauce on a waffle


And Lexi had this:
Applesauce, cinnamon, coconut oil, and vanilla with nanners, berries, and cool whip!

While our breakfasts have been yummy, what we've been looking forward to most has been lunch!
Like Monday's GF barbecue chicken pizza:
Using essentially the same recipe as the previous post, but I caramelized the onions and used red peppers instead. I also used shredded rotisserie chicken mixed w/ bbq sauce.
and yesterday's pizza rolls!
OKAY. So here's how I made them:
I used 1/2 batch of the Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust mix I referred to in the previous post. We spread the dough out into a big rectangle using wet hands. We used well-oiled wax paper. The dough will be more batter-like, and if you've ever made tamales from scratch, it's pretty much exactly like the masa. Don't worry, they'll cook up like regular bread, I promise.
 Then we sauced it and cheesed it using my new favorite marinara sauce (see below), parmesan and sharp cheddar cheese (not a fan of mozzarella).
 Then comes the tricky part. I rolled the dough into a spiral, the way you would make a jellyroll. The dough was so batter-like and sticky that the oil on the wax paper couldn't prevent it from sticking...but whatever, I scraped it and filled in the holes along the way!
 Then I carefully sliced the log width-wise into ~1-inch pieces and laid them snuggly into an oiled glass dish. This would also work in a round cake pan. You can also place each one in a cupcake tin slot or a ramekin for perfectly round buns!
 We tightly wrapped em with plastic wrap and let them rise in the sun for about 20 minutes.
Then we convection baked them at 375 for about 20 minutes, THEN we topped them with sauce and more cheese, and baked for an additional 5 minutes.
 I then turned on the broiler to high for about 4 minutes until the cheese got nice and...well, glorious.


And then we ate.
 And ate and ate and ate.

Oh yeah, this is the sauce I used. There's nothing I hate more in marinara sauce than SUGAR! WHY do most companies add SUGAR to their SAUCE?! Come on, people! I don't want my sauce tasting like candy. I want it to taste like tomatoey beauty. That's why this one is my new favorite:


Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment