Thursday, August 9, 2012

BBQ Tofu Pizza!

Ah! I'm so terrible at keeping up with posting. So I'm forcing myself to sit in the kitchen as I blast Ray Charles and write out how I made lunch today.



Fakeout cheese! Ha!

Barbecue Tofu Pizza

These amounts made a pizza in a 9” round cake pan about ½” thick, but you can always spread it thinner and/or use a regular pan.

·         ½ batch of pizza crust using Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free pizza crust mix*
·         About 1/3 package of extra firm tofu, grated as you would grate cheese

Get creative with your toppings; here’s approximately what I used:
·         ½ cup barbecue sauce**
·         ½ roma tomato, sliced thinly
·         ½ small onion, sliced thinly
·         ¼ cup chopped cilantro
·         ¼ green bell pepper, sliced thinly
·         2 orange mini sweet peppers, sliced thinly
(Feel free to top this with the cheese of your choice—I just hate the texture and taste of melted cheese on pizza…weird, I know!)

Prepare the dough according to the package directions using half of the ingredients in the package. I wanted a perfectly round crust so I baked it at 425F for 7 minutes in a 9” cake pan sprayed with olive oil spray. I then removed the crust from the cake pan and placed it on a cookie sheet and topped it with about ¼ cup BBQ sauce, then veggies, shredded tofu, then cilantro, and finally more sauce (I’m obsessed). I baked it for about 15 more minutes, then served it with more fresh cilantro on top.


*To make it vegan, follow the directions on the package and use a flax egg instead of a real egg. I actually prefer the taste of using a real egg, but both work fine. You can also use any pizza dough, premade or not, I’m just gluten-free so I find it cheaper to use dough mixes. If you’re not gluten-free, I highly recommend Trader Joe’s herb pizza dough! It’s like two bucks a pop.
**Use a sauce you REALLY love. I’ve used the two in the photo below. Both are vegan and gluten-free, but I prefer the taste of Sweet Baby Ray’s. Unfortunately, that one has high fructose corn syrup (which I try to avoid) but pick whatever sauce tickles your fancy! Peanut sauce would also be *glorious* on pizza...with some crushed peanuts...oh man...



Ka-pow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment