Monday, May 7, 2012

TVP crazy!

So I bought a container of textured vegetable protein from Sprouts a few weeks ago, and it had been sitting in the pantry ever since. Too scared to mess up, I kept looking at it and passing on attempting to make something with it. However, a spark of boldness invaded my body and I decided to make MEATBALLS!

Can I please tell you...I impressed myself with these little meatless morsels of power. Packed with protein and herby deliciousness, Coco actually loved them, I actually loved them.
Here's roughly how I made them:
  • 1/2 cup dry TVP chunks, which I reconstituted in a sautee pan with just water and salt
  • roughly 1/3 cup chopped onion, which I sauteed in a separate pan, along with freeze-dried garlic & onion, dried basil, Lawry's, Italian herb blend, and pepper
  • about 1 1/2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, which I just made by toasting the end piece of gluten-free brown rice bread and crumbling it up
  • once the TVP was reconstituted, I added all the ingredients together and formed them into roughly 1-inch balls, browned them in about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, and after realizing they were still cold in the middle, I threw them in the broiler for about 6 minutes. WHAM-O. Meaty and meat-free, tasty with a bit of heated marinara sauce to dip.


Today, I regifted my leftover beatmalls (as Coco calls them) and made fajita tacos, which were, surprisingly enough, quite fabulous as well. All I did was crumble the beatmalls, add some seasonings like chili powder, cumin, taco seasoning, and pepper, sauteed some onions and peppers, and topped em with salsa!

Here they are!:



Now I'm off to clean my failed & deflated almond flour banana zucchini bread muffins off the pan...:'( at least they TASTE good! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment